Return to People page

WO Frank Heath's history of RC Sigs station VEA

- 7 -

astounding - the noise level increased somewhat, but the signals simply boomed in much louder than ever before. We therefore elaborated and modified the change-over switch to accommodate the big aerial to receiver or transmitter, and didn't return to a single wire, separate aerial until years later.

In June 1926 we bid Good-Bye to Lt. Taber and welcomed Lt. Cliff Underwood as Officer In Charge. Sigmn. Glynn also left that month and was replaced by Cpl. Harry Ewing. Although our records are somewhat vague in this respect we believe that a Lt. Leppard arrived to take over from Mr. Taber before "Undy" appeared on the scene, but for reasons now unknown remained with us only about two or three days. Ewing, however, arrived just in time to start meteorological work. We took over this duty from a local resident who for years had taken readings twice daily and handed them in at 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. to the G.T.S. for relay to Victoria, B.C. - but we, with three men on the station as a reason, perhaps, had to take the readings early enough to get the firs tone on the air by 4 a.m.

For the next two years we carried on more or less smoothly and quietly with little or no change to routine or equipment, other than perhaps a new type of transmitter tube and a new Marconi receiver. But Dawson's first plane in ten years came over from Fairbanks in the summer of '26 to search for a missing man. It was a big event and attracted hundreds of local residents who had never seen a plane before. next year (1927) a group of Yukoners organized the first "Air Express & Mail Service" between Whitehorse - Mayo - Dawson with a Ryan monoplane "Queen of the Yukon", a sister ship of Lindberg's famous "Spirit of St. Louis". The "Queen" first arrived in Dawson on Nov. 11th 1927 and was feted and acclaimed for days. The idea of Yukon's own air transportation system was indeed a novelty in those days and was enthusiastically received and proclaimed; but lack of any aids to flying, plus normal hazards of weather and equipment, discouraged the enterprise and it was soon abandoned.

In August 1928 now QMS. Heath was posted to Ottawa, while Cec. may, now CSM, replaced him. later that month Cpl. Ed. Parsonage relieved Cpl. Armstrong; and Lt. Underwood also relinquished his Yukon command. "Undy", by the way, was the last commissioned officer to be in charge of the Dawson and Mayo stations.

The records of the next five years are rather sketchy and incomplete. As far as we can determine, personnel changes and replacements featured this period; with Harry Ewing out for medical attention in March 1930, relieved by Cpl. Stan. Reid. Then in 1931 it looks like CSM. May and Cpl. Parsonage headed outside while CSM. Armstrong returned as Warrant Officer In Charge (WOIC), and S/Sgt. Harry Yelland came in to relieve parsonage. In 1932 it appears that Yelland left to take charge of the Mayo station, and Reid went outside while Sigmn. "Red" Waddell and Sgt. "Newt" Plunkett reported in to Dawson

Return to Frank Heath's main page

Go to Page - | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 |

Return to People Page


Velox Versutus Vigilans