[Excerpt from the Official History of the NWT&Y RS]
- Early in August
(1943) SM "Nash" Neary, QMS "Happy" Mitchell
and SSgt. Ross, who was to be NCO IC Station, arrived in Grande
Prairie and commenced the necessary work. Late in August a circuit
was set up with Edmonton Radio Station using an M 15 transmitter
and Hammarlund 120 receiver in order to keep in close touch with
HQ during the various phases of installation.
- Also in June
1951, the System lost four prominent personnel, well known throughout
the Signal Corps, when their applications for commissions were accepted.
Selected for a Classified Commission was WO 1 Hugh Ross, formerly
an operator at Fort Norman in the 1930s, IC McMurray in the 1940s
and IC Yellowknife at the time of selection.
They would be
sorely missed and were but the first of many to depart the System
in the next few years to become officers.